Tuesday, August 2, 2016

Weidners' Blue Barn

The Hatchery
5 x 7
oil on panel


Blue Barn
8 x 10
Oil on panel
framed
$95 plus shipping

I just finished a four week plein air class through the Woodstock School of Art. I've been taking this same July workshop for several years.  I've said it before, but I just love my instructor! Kate McGloughlin! She makes it so fun. 
I never would have been painting on these days if it weren't for her and the fact I signed up back in February.  To say those four Thursdays were HOT would be putting in mildly.

I was feeling sick on two of the days following the class. Probably didn't drink enough water. I get so into what I'm painting that I forget! I mean, how old do I have to get before I GET THAT?  If a  migraine wasn't enough to teach me, I don't know what will.

Anyway, the important thing was that I got to paint at two old farms that I've never painted at before. 
This one is from my dear childhood friend's home here in West Shokan. I spent many Saturdays growing up playing here with her.  It is a retired chicken hatchery. The layers were Leghorns. 
  Some of the large coups are gone, but this cute little barn still stands in excellent condition. South Mountain is seen in the distance.  I seem to think her horse may have called it home back in the 60s and 70s, but I can't really remember.  Sheep used to graze these fields and while they are still being hayed, the woods are starting to encroach.  I completed two paintings that day. 

I am so happy her sister, Jen, is taking care of the old Hickory Hill Farm that the Weidner family has owned for generations. The first farm was taken by NYC and sits in and out of the water of the Ashokan Reservoir. They moved their operation up to this location in the early part of the last century.  So much history.




2 comments:

  1. Hi Janette! I LOVE your work and the history lessons! So interesting! Im glad I found your blog! You are so talented!

    Cathie

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Cathie! What a nice surprise to read your comment. Hey, I'm just getting started! I know painting is something that you work at forever, always wanting to get better and better. I sure enjoyed the talks and time spent with your mom painting. She was SO good and taught me a few things!

      Delete