Sunday, July 31, 2016

A plein air shelf







Last night I came across a great blog by Thomas Jefferson Kitts. He generously shared his design and a diagram to make your own. You can buy these for about $35.00 made from plastic, but with an $18.00 shipping fee, I decided to pitch the DIY to my husband.

I told him about it last night about 9PM. Printed out the diagram.
When I got home from Mass this morning, he presented me with my very own shelf! It's absolutely perfect! Made from wood he had in stock.
I will stain and varnish it. 

It will hold my oil palette very nicely with room for clip on palette cups. 

Here it holds my John Pike watercolor palette which was too big to travel with before. 

I have been trying to perfect my plein air set up for some time. My DH gave me a medium French resistance pochade box for Christmas a few years ago and I love it! I reviewed it here on this blog at that time.

I never have enough space to lay down my equipment. I don't want to make it more complicated than it already is. Last year, I saw a clever "store boughten" shelf that attaches to the tripod legs. Yes, my grandmother actually used to say store boughten!


















2 comments:

  1. You have a MacGyver too!!! Arent' they the BEST? We command, er, ahem, ask (wink) and they deliver! Glad you will have all the tools you need at your fingertips to create more of your beauties.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yes, it's very nice having a husband with Yankee ingenuity! I especially appreciate making something from nothing! Thanks for the "beauties" comment. Been painting lots, but not a lot of "sign it, it's done."

    ReplyDelete