Saturday, January 2, 2016

Shurter Farm


11 x 14
oil


In 1984, my mom and dad bought what was left of the Shurter Farm. They were living in West Shokan at the time and my mom had two horses, but not a lot of pasture. She really wanted more room for them. 

So, they sold their home and bought an old farm along Samsonville Road.  My father built a log home and big barn which stands to the left of this scene. The old cow barn was in terrible condition and he had to tear it down. He built himself an equipment building on that foundation. That would be the building above on the left.  

After living there for 22 yrs, my dad decided he wanted to downsize. At 79 yrs old!  So, they sold off the fields you see here with the house and built another on the remaining land just down the road. My mom, who is now 83, still has horses so he had to build her another barn. 
 I wasn't crazy about this plan, because it's hardly downsizing!  It's been almost 10 years and now it seems like they've been in the new place a long time. My mother still misses the log home, but the new house is easier to take care of though she has three bedrooms and two baths! 

The horses she had in '84 have passed away, but she has a retired race horse and two miniatures to take care of every day.  Two other minis she left at the farm above, because the ladies that bought the first farm love them and have become very dear friends of our family.  They turned my dad's equip. barn into a rental home.  

About a month or so ago, I was contacted by a very nice couple that recently bought a home in Samsonville NY.  Coincidently, this is the view from their home!  They love it here and asked if I ever do paintings of High Point Mt.  Here is their commissioned painting of High Pt Mt with the Shurter barns and horse pasture! I hope they like it. 

2 comments:

  1. How wonderful that you got asked to do this! I'm sure they will love it; those trees are so lifelike, the shading and little pops of colour in the pasture so real.

    ReplyDelete
  2. thank you! I was trying to portray a sunny day, but the shadows are so dark under all those big trees. I didn't put the two little horses in. Well, I started to, but they looked contrived!

    ReplyDelete