Friday, October 31, 2014

Cheryl and Sandra, this one's for you!

I switched my tools from brushes to needles recently, because I wanted to make a baby quilt.
The deadline was my daughter-in-law's baby shower. Her due date was Oct. 24th, but the shower was the end of Sept. Unknown gender!

I am NOT an expert quilter by any means so I needed to make something that wouldn't bog me down.
I purchased a couple of charm packs without a plan in mind from one of my favorite quilt shops, The Patchwork Co in Windham, NY.

Then I found an easy peasy pattern on this blog: with thread in hand.  Like I said, I had no plan which is typical of me.  Got the top done, but had no backing or binding. Took another trip to Windham (which is a beautiful mountain town in the Catskills) this time with my DH in his "little red car". That's what my 4 yr old grandson, Joe, calls it.

I bought the cutest backing fabric! But of course you don't know that because my photo is blurry!
 It has the tiniest diaper pins on a green background! Ok, get home add the back and plan on binding it with the same fabric only to realize I didn't buy enough. GRrrrrr.  Ed's fault, he was waiting on the front porch of the shop tapping his foot while I shopped and that always flusters me!

Not wanting to make yet another trip to Windham or Kingston,  I dug in my stash and found a darker shade of green for the binding. It's ok. Not great, but ok. I used Kona snow for the white strips.

The quilting is simply row after row in a "rustic" channel style, no measuring. You see, ahem, artists like myself do not strive for perfection, we like random! LOL!
 After washing, it developed all those crinkles we all seem to like now. My grandmother would have said it looks used!

I really wanted to attach the binding using the method my friend Cheryl uses on Project Linus quilts.  She attaches it to the back of the quilt, folds it to the front and then uses a zig zag on the front side. I was nervous about doing it that way, so I did the usual. Sew on the front, turn to the back and hand stitch it. I know the zig zag would hold up better during multiple washings, so the next one I will try Cheryl's method.  After a consult with her, I now understand how she gets a neat stitch down.


I wish I'd used my camera instead of phone to take the photos, but you get the idea. I can't, for the life of me, remember the name or designer of the charm pack! Many of the prints were not baby fabrics. I knew my D.I.L. would like that. After all, she has a Jerry Garcia doll hanging from the ceiling in the baby's room.  
The quilt has a fair amount of pink in it, which turns out to be a good thing, because my darling baby turned out to be a girl!  Lillian Florence Kahil! 


She was just a couple hrs or so old in these photos! Born on her due date at home.  A whopping 8lb 6 oz.

I need to explain the shout out to Cheryl and Sandra.  As far as I know, you two are the only ones who read my blog! Just kidding, I know lurkers abound and since I sell paintings from the blog,  I know they are out there.
Cheryl and Sandra are my ex-friends.   They both are EX- school teachers. (Yikes, I hope I've used good grammar in this post).  They both are EXpert quilters and so full of knowledge which they are happy to share.

The other things they have in common are:
they both make me laugh and are fun to be with!
And they both are beautiful!
And they both have husbands named Joe.
And those husbands both love cars!

I hope you both are feelin' the love, that's it, back to painting :)




1 comment:

  1. Geez Louise, I now need ANOTHER Kleenex!! Go watch this entire video, which my daughter just sent and I just watched:
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bUPaPnz-sc0&feature=youtu.be
    and see if you don't sniffle a few times or more. Then I read this, and feel your virtual hug across the miles...waaaaa, I MISS you!! But I'm so happy for you for that stinkin' adorable quilt and its even MORE ADORABLE (and huge, yes! she looks 2 months old!) brand new baby granddaughter...I want one too!
    Thanks for the shout-out. NOT perfect and crinkly (like grandmas and nanas, ha) is the best. Great work. And I KNOW what you mean about getting flustered when DIHs wait outside in their little red or black cars...
    MWAH! and a big fat hug to you.

    ReplyDelete