Tuesday, April 29, 2014

Little Joseph

Little Joseph
8" x 10"
oil on linen

I've been remiss at posting this little portrait I did of our most precious little Joe!  I finished it two years ago when he was two.  He'd been eating spaghetti and had sauce on his face.  He gave his mom this devilish grin because he was so proud of himself, eating a huge plate of pasta!
He's very blond and it was a challenge for me to get just the right color for his hair.  I'm still baffled by it and I don't particularly think I got it right.  
I was also reminded by a favorite portrait painter friend of mine, that babies are the most difficult subject to paint.  Old men and old women are the easiest. Babies have no wrinkles and character lines.  They just have plain, pure goodness and deliciousness all round them!  
He also reminded me not to paint portraits with big toothy grins!  Classic portraits are closed mouthed. You know, take a look at Mona Lisa!  
So, I'm sure I'll have many more paintings of Joe to show you.  He and his big sister are my most favorite subjects of all time, beating out poodles, and red barns and luminous landscapes!  And he's not for sale :). 

2 comments:

  1. I like the look of your blog--you changed it! Love this adorable painting; you've captured his chortling joy very well.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks! Yeah, I get bored and when I do, I switch things up. I always smile when I look at this painting. He's such a fun little boy!

    ReplyDelete