Sunday, January 5, 2014

E-readers

I love e-readers!  I've had a Kindle for a  couple of years and the adjustment period took me all of 10 minutes. In no time I forgot that I wasn't holding a paperback.   I love that I can use either my ipad or Kindle and they sync because of the Kindle app I have on the ipad! 

Last week I renewed one of my favorite magazines and they offered an e-version.  I'm always looking to reduce the amount of paper we use, so I subscribed to the paperless version of The Artist's Magazine.
I have a regular Kindle, not the Kindle Fire, so the magazine had to be delivered to my ipad. I can't get over how it's just like having the paper magazine in my hands.  It includes all the ads and everything. For me, this is the perfect marriage of my two loves:  art and technology!

My sister has recently sent me mobi files of the diaries of Elwyn Davis, West Shokan.   I'm able to open them on my Kindle.  Imagine that, a diary written in 1906 by a young man born in 1890 and I'm reading it on my Kindle.  There's something mystical about it. He writes about his daily chores and the weather.  He talks of visiting Shokan in the evening when all it involved was walking across a bridge and not the reservoir which didn't yet exist.  There were no cars or town highway dept., so he would help plow the road in front of his parents' farm with horses or by shoveling. He cut ice in the winter and made syrup in the spring. He plowed fields with the horses in the summer and made cider in the fall. He had no idea then that we would be reading, on an electronic gizmo, his entries so carefully written with pen and ink in his well practiced script.
 He kept a diary from 1906 when he was 16 until he died in 1976. My mom has taken years to transcribe them on her computer and donate the typed diaries back to the Olive Library so anyone interested in our local history can read them. Elwyn's cousin was Don Bishop who helped make the library what it is today.

 Now those typed versions have been turned into files to be downloaded onto e-readers by my sister.
 She was going to offer them on Amazon for a buck a piece, but she found out they are not yet in the public domain and can't be distributed that way.
It sure makes me wonder if anyone out there will ever read my blog 100 years from now.  How much farther will technology progress in that time? I've read that the internet is in it's infancy right now. I've been on it for 20 years. Back then we called it the world wide web and I used Prodigy!

No comments:

Post a Comment