Sunday, August 19, 2012

Painting Mohonk

I thought someone might be interested in this.  Not sure exactly who, but maybe someone out there in the great World Wide Web! LOL.  Remember when we used to call it that? Way back in the 90s?

Anyway, I just started a new painting using a photo for reference.  The photo was taken at Mohonk Mountain House in New Paltz last week.  Evening was upon us, but there was enough light to take a few photos down by the lake.  My friend took a lot more and they are spectacular!  What great subject matter, huh?

So this canvas is 12 x 16, gallery wrapped, gessoed and toned with raw umber.  I did a
sketch with vine charcoal and using thinned raw umber I did a line and mass in underpainting.

 This phase allows you to make changes to the composition very easily.  I want the little gazebo that is the Mohonk trademark to be the focal point, so I started the color layer in that area.  My plan is to finish that part in great detail and then give less attention to the other areas as I paint outward.  At least that's my plan!  We'll see.  My mind knows what I want to do, but getting my hands to do it is another thing!  I'll post the progress. Stay tuned...

1 comment:

  1. Hi Janette...love this painting...is it available for purchase? Your work is beautifull....please e-mail me and let me know.
    Than you,
    Joseph Maake
    maake@optonline.net

    ReplyDelete