Thursday, October 13, 2011

Bali Pops Batik lap quilt


TOP


Close up of free motion quilting


BACK
I finally finished this Bali Pops quilt! I think I started it last winter, but it seems like a decade or so ago. Bali Pops are packaged batiks that you buy in a colorway of your choice.  This one is called Kiwiberry. I liked it because it had a lot of purple in it.  The Bali Pops come in 2.5" wide and 44" long strips. 100% cotton and made in Bali for Hoffman Fabrics.
 I got enough in the pack (40 strips) to make the front of the quilt and I scrapped the back of it together with other batik odds and ends I had. I added a cotton batting to the inside.  It's a lightweight quilt. I found the pattern on-line as part of a blog from another quilter.  She had a great tutorial! If you'd like to see how it's done, click on this link. http://2ndavenuestudio.blogspot.com/2008/05/bali-pop-tutorial.html.
After piecing it, I sent it to a woman in Michigan who does machine quilting.  I told her to quilt it in her choice of pattern and thread color. I think she did a great job. If you're interested in her, contact me for her info.
Now I have to finish another queen sized quilt that I started last year.  I have all 12 blocks done, but I haven't decided how to finish it off. 
Posted by Picasa

4 comments:

  1. Thanks, Holly. Coming from you, that's a REAL compliment!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I just noticed you commented back. Oh my goodness..you are so artistic I just told my sister today I would send her a link to your blog, she quilts and I'm sure she would enjoy seeing this picture along with your amazing paintings too!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi, I am Holly's sister. I love your quilt, I have seen that particular color of batiks. I have it on one of my wish list somewhere. I belong to a local quilt guild here, I just love to see everyone's quilts. Last March I went to Lancaster PA to the quilt show down there, it was very exciting. I will check out more of your blog.

    ReplyDelete